English and Language Arts
Gilbert Junior High School
7th and 8th Grade Language Arts/English/Honors
Teachers in the Department:
Tracy Alaniz - 7th grade/Dept. Chair
Krystal Holyoak - 7th & 8th grade
Marguss Tantalo - 8th grade/Dept. Chair
Scott Tolbert - 7th grade
Kim Villella - 7th grade
7th grade Language Arts is a two period block for both on-level students and honors.
8th grade Language Arts/English is a two period block or one period for on-level students and honors.
use contemporary and classic literature as well as nonfiction print and
non-print text. Students are engaged with close readings of each text
to develop skills in all areas of English/Language Arts. Students work
individually and in groups as they interact with each level of the
| 7th Grade Level 2: Choices
||8th Grade Level 3: Challenges
Unit 1: The Choices We Make
Unit 2: What Influences My Choices
Unit 3: Our Choices and Life Lessons
Unit 4: Reflecting on My Choices
Unit 5: How We Choose to Act
Unit 1: The Challenge of Heroism
Unit 2: Real-life Challenges
Unit 3: Reflecting on Challenges
Unit 4: Voices and Challenges
Unit 5: The Challenge of Comedy
of the five units includes learning activities, two embedded
assessments and a pre/post test which are all aligned with Common Core
What Sets SpringBoard Apart from other English/Language Arts Programs?
- Educational research supports the structure of the program.
- Rigorous Standards provide a pathway to Advanced Placement and are aligned to Common Core Standards.
- Instructional Framework is built on “designing with the end in mind.”
- Teaching and learning strategies is a cornerstone of instructional design.
- Purposeful learning activities are relevant, rigorous, student-centered, engaging, interactive, and collaborative.
- Differentiated Instruction opportunities are developed with student needs and achievement in mind.
- Assessment includes objective end of unit tests,performance based embedded assessments and student portfolios.
- Teacher support and professional development is ongoing and meaningful.
is the foundational component for the College Board's College Readiness
System, offering a proven Pre-AP program that increases participation
and prepares a greater diversity of students for success in AP, college
and beyond – without remediation.
College Board Standards for College Success and aligned to the Common
Core State Standards, SpringBoard offers the only integrated college
readiness solution that includes a rigorous curriculum, formative
assessments and sustainable professional development. http://springboardprogram.collegeboard.org/